Thursday, February 3, 2011

A major change . . .

Well after much deliberation I decided to change my major. I loved the things I was learning in my Cisco courses under the Network Support program, but for some lame reason CSI decides to teach the Cisco courses at mach 5 and I wasn't able to keep up. But after thinking about it I realized I don't want the stress of an entire branch, company or area yelling at me to fix their network problems and to do it pronto! So I took some great career assessments and did some research. It pointed me to a job in manufacturing so I decided to give it a shot and now my major is Manufacturing technology.
I didn't quite know what that involved before I began and I'll wager most of you don't know either so I posted a video of the kind of work it will be. It basically involves using computerized machinery to plan, design, and create custom metal or plastic parts ranging from simple washers to highly complex aerospace engine components. What I like about it is that I still get to use a computer to design the part to be machined and then to create it using specific tools and drill bits using my hands. I need a creative outlet in my work and being able to start a project from beginning to end all by myself is a bonus too. So far I am loving the program and look forward to getting a part time job in manufacturing while I go to school if at all possible. So pretty much life is great right now even though I was freakin out when I realized I was failing my Cisco courses. The Lord definitely answers prayers!!

2 comments:

Mama Jane said...

Wow, Drew! That is way cool stuff - neat stuff to learn how to do! We are so proud of you! Thanks to Karen for all her support for you and standing by ya in this! You rock!
Love ya! MJ

Julie Graham said...

This is so neat! I am glad and excited for you! So how much longer will you have in school now? Way to go Bud! The Grahams send our love to you two! :)